Saturday, May 8, 2010

Getting the garden in shape....

The first rose of the season.... then back to working in the garden.

There is always something to do to keep the garden is shape and it always seems to get away from me.
I have been spending about 2 hours in the mornings weeding and shredding the dry waste from the fall and planting sweet potatoes. How I did this was to put a whole sweet potato in the ground a few inches from the top, watering it . In about a week or so the potato will sprout leaves, these are called "slips". I pulled these out of the potato I set in the ground , holding the potato down. I then planted the slips about 18" apart in the row. As the vines grow be sure to not let them root, as they will take energy from the main stem and dwarf the new growing potatoes.



















The Garden shed awaits ......

No comments: