Wednesday, March 23, 2011

More baby chicks!

Baby chicks are shipped in a box with straw on the bottom . They do not need food or water for three days, that is how they can ship them with out them dying. They are always shipped with enough babies to keep each other warm. They are born with a soft down covering their bodies and can not maintain their own body heat until they develope their true feathers, which take about a month. This is why I use two heat lamps, just in case one burns out. For the first month this would be certain death.
I always put them in a special brooding box at first so that they are protected from snakes and other critters that would love to have them for dinner. I set it up so they have plenty of water in a container meant for baby chicks so they'd don't have water deep enough to drowned in. The starting mash I use is a natural formula very high in proteins which is necessary for their initial growth.

As I transfer each chick into the brooder box I put their beak in the water so they know where it is, this is very important. They always seem to find the food pretty easily. I use the little theaters that are meant for baby chicks because this keeps them out of the food and keeps them from scattering it all over the place.

Personally I like to use newspaper on the bottom of the brooder box. It is very easy to just roll it up and replace it, which has to be done at least once a day.

No comments: