Sunday, April 17, 2011

Garden Update

The blueberry cage is ready for the final chicken wire to be applied.
I have been covering the lettuce this year and have really had success in growing sweet lettuce for an extended period of time, I will see how long this will last !
The blueberry bushes are loaded with fruit. They look as though they are ready to be picked and eaten, but blueberries take about a month from when they start turning blue until they are ripe.
I weeded everywhere and have applied a mulch of alfalfa hay. I have found this to be extremely beneficial to the plants for moisture retention and adding humus to the soil. The plants on the right are sugar peas and the little plants on the left just starting to take off our cucumber plants.
Those are carrots on the left row and just the start of squash plants on the right-hand side.
Here are the tomato plants in cages, due to the fact of my greenhouse starter failure, I purchased plants already 10 inches tall. Maybe next year I can fine tune the process.
The raspberries are just starting to leaf and grow.

And here is the start of the baby grapes, I thought I may have cut them back way too much that they might not produce this year, but it looks like they are giving a start in the right direction.

No comments: