Sunday, April 17, 2011

New play yard for the chicks

The chicks are about four weeks old now and they outgrew their limited space I had set up for them in the greenhouse.
I fenced off a portion of the enclosed yard for the chicks with chicken wire and netting. So as they would keep within their designated space.I took some plywood pieces and leaned them up against the chicken coop building and protected it on one end with another piece of plywood to protect the baby chicks from the cold nights. I also strung a lamp and placed it in this makeshift A-frame. This will give them a cozy place to sleep at night and also protection from the sun during the day. I like using this large feeder for their food. I can put in about 10 pounds of feed for them all at once. This section of the chicken yard also contains the rainwater, so I know they will never run out of water. I also feel it is very important for baby chicks to get exposure to the sun light, and here they have it all.

No comments: