Thursday, May 10, 2012

New baby chicks

 The little peepers at three days old, a little bigger than an egg.
 This is a brooder box I set up for the babies so they are well protected from snakes, larger chickens, and drafts. They have everything they need, food, water and shelter with a light bulb lamp.I start off with a 100 watt bulb to keep the temperature at 95 degrees, then each week I decrease the temperature by 5 degrees. So I put in a 75 watt bulb , then a 60 watt. I always give them enough space to get away from the heat if they want to.
 Here they are at about two weeks.
 At around three weeks they were out growing the brooder box. I decided to make a more portable and permanent divider for the babies inside of the chicken coop. I took used realtor signs and attached chickenwire, using the wire it's self to wrap around the edges of the sign.
 It is a modular chicken enclosure. I put a larger container for their food and used the chicken waters from farm tech attached to a gallon jug for their water.The baby chicks caught on really fast to how to get water from this system. This way they are always drinking fresh water.
I made a chicken wire door in one of the realtors sign , to gain access into the enclosure. Here they are about 3 weeks old.











No comments: