Sunday, December 9, 2012

The winter garden

 We have not had a freeze yet. It has been a warm fall so the broccoli is just starting to head. I decided to plant more broccoli, thus the little plants in between the tall ones.
I am experimenting with a rye cover crop this winter. I have been having trouble with nematodes this year and heard that the rye will trap them and they die. I also bought beneficial nematodes to help as well. 
 The peppers have had a banner year, but the freeze tonight will take them down.
 You can barely see the cabbage and cauliflower I planted  in the rye grass.
 The snap peas are growing better since it has cooled a bit.
 The Garden looks a little ratty from this view but it is the best shot of the marigolds.
And here is the harvest! There are even a few pounds of string beans under the peppers, this will last us a few days anyway!

No comments: