Saturday, March 16, 2013

Garden lesson about covercrops

 I had this great idea to plant rye grass to capture the bad plant nematodes destroying many things I had tried to plant . Well with plenty of water and rich soil the rye grass grew thick and tall. When I was ready to plant my garden the rye was at its peak, showing no sign of slowing down!!
So I covered it with black plastic weighted down with rocks. That helped but the roots were thick and strong. I tilled it with my little Mantis and it did great But it is always best to wait a month before planting. So my garden this year will be small, to say the least.
 After the till....
 After the planting, the same day....
 Kelp coming up on the left. herbs on the right...
 Onions doing great!
From the left: Asparagus, Raspberries and Blackberries....
It is hard to see but the blueberries are LOADED With blooms!!!!

No comments: